FREE Unit Preview & Sample Resource From The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens 14 Week Unit Plan: Comprehension Questions for Chapter Three
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens Unit Plan Preview:
This sample resource gives a quick glimpse into my 14 week unit based on Sean Covey's text The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens.
Inside the unit preview you'll receive:
- 30 comprehension and reflection questions for chapter 3 of The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens
- sample DOL exercises based on The 7 Habits
- 7 short videos (with summaries) aligned with chapter one of The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens
- sample summary paragraph of an article based on neuroscience
- sample paragraph prompt
- paragraph structure guide
Inside the 300+ page unit, you'll find:
- table of contents included with hyperlinks to resources within bundle
- comprehension and reflection questions for each chapter of The 7 Habits to promote critical thinking
- 14 week unit plan
- 70 daily lesson plans aligned with ELA CCS grades 9-12
- 33 suggested short videos (including links and summaries) to complement each chapter in Covey’s book. I typically front-load each chapter with a video and then show them intermittently as they are reading through each section. The videos help with comprehension by reinforcing the concepts within the book, and they help to keep students interested and engaged with the text.
- pre and post assessment on core concepts addressed in The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens
- 7 Habits anticipation guide/activity
- 60 DOL paragraphs ("daily oral language": grammar and punctuation exercises) that align with Covey's 7 Habits for Teens (includes highlighted teacher key)
- handout: "What the Heck is a Clause?" includes definitions & color-coded examples of ICs and DCs (independent and dependent clauses)
- reflective essay prompt
- 9 paragraph exemplar reflective essay
- reflective essay rubric
- two essay skeleton guides to support emerging writers who may struggle with structure and coherence. The first guide provides minimal support, while the second is ideal for those in need of more explicit writing examples
- mini lesson: suggested Ted Talk aligned with Covey's teachings on paradigm and 5 page Article: "The Science of Happiness," which discusses the physiology behind emotions & how to manage/regulate one's own level of happiness
- editable student checklist to reinforce the "habit of happiness"
- mini Lesson: "Goal Setting Redefined" : Activity to complete after watching Ted Talk
- mini Lesson: Summary assignment for Bart Baggett's Ted Talk: The Neuropathways to Happiness. Includes sample summary and summary rubric
- UNIT: Argumentative essay unit supplementary material including:
- daily lesson plans (included in the 70 total you'll receive in this bundle)
- film prompt: Docu/drama style film: The Secret (available free online)
- film summary
- film comprehension questions
- argumentative essay structure guide
- exemplar argumentative essay
- argumentative essay rubric
- presentation assignment and rubric
- TWENTY paragraph prompts (two for each topic) related to:
*Each prompt includes a short color-coded structure guide for reference and suggestions to help struggling writers with content and organization (can be edited out for experienced writers).
*Highlighted advanced vocabulary (can be edited out for experienced readers/writers)
2. An Editor’s Checklist
3. 4-Point Paragraph Rubric
4. One Exemplar Paragraph
5. Related Common Core Standards for Grades 7,8, 9/10, 11/12
I've used Sean Covey's The 7 Habits in my classroom for years, and my high school students, from every demographic, absolutely love it.
Covey's wisdom can have a profound impact on students if they take the time to genuinely reflect on his teachings. This companion curriculum is designed to foster thoughtful introspection, critical thinking, and authentic social-emotional growth.
♥ ♥ ♥ BONUS OFFER ♥ ♥♥
Once this bundle is downloaded, you will be directed to receive your FREE eBook: Birdseed: A Guide to Teaching Emotional Intelligence in the Primary & Secondary Classroom: Daily Activity to Foster Social-Emotional Development & Personal Growth.
Birdseed is endorsed by The Colorado Department of Education, by positive psychology guru and best-selling NY Times author Shawn Achor, and by psychologists, teachers, and students worldwide.
Inside, you'll find a collection of THE BEST 365 inspirational quotes, (organized by theme for quick reference) along with a novel way to use them on a daily basis in any classroom to foster character development. This is an activity (referred to as "Birdseed") every secondary teacher can use to create an environment conducive to authentic learning (Have a closer peek at Birdseed in my store.).
Thanks for shopping with me!
Please feel free to email me with questions, concerns, or feedback.
KEY WORDS: Health, Self-esteem, decision making, confidence building, social skills, life-skills, emotional intelligence, social-emotional domain, middle school, high school, inspirational writing, 7 Habits unit plan, 7 Habits lesson plans, PSHE, Health writing assignment, 7 habits of highly effective people, bundle resources, Essay Prompts, mini-lessons, Health Curriculum, Health Unit, Advisory curriculum, Study Skills, Exceptional Students, GATE curriculum,