The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens Companion Unit
READ HUNDREDS OF MY FIVE STAR REVIEWS ON TEACHERS PAY TEACHERS | PLEASE NOTE, THIS UNIT IS ONLY AVAILABLE HERE ON MY WEBSITE
14 WEEK UNIT PLAN + 70 DAILY LESSON PLANS: Includes Related Common Core Standards in Reading, Writing, Speaking & Listening in Grades 9-12 on EACH Daily Lesson Plan.
If you're a ChangeMaker and a teacher who cares about your students' hearts, souls, and futures as much as you do their grades, this curriculum is for you.
If you're tired of spending your weekends and weeknights writing lesson plans, you'll be in heaven for the next three months. I've included detailed daily lesson plans aligned with Common Core Standards for grades 9-12.
Regardless of the demographic you're teaching, your students will love this unit, too!
Please note: THIS IS A DIGITAL DOWNLOAD, NOT A PHYSICAL PRODUCT
NO PLANNING FOR 3 1/2 MONTHS for LESS THAN 50 Cents A DAY!
After working with at-risk youth for 14 years, I recognized sadness, lack of vision, and lack of purpose as an absolute epidemic. I wanted to inspire, empower, and educate my kids, and these resources were created to give them the tools they needed to create new realities and brighter opportunities. Most kids don't realize--because most adults don't realize--that despite their pasts or present circumstances, they can literally rewire their brains and reshape their paradigms for happiness and success, whatever that looks like to them.
This bundle will save you more than 150 hours of planning and provide you with at least 14 weeks of material for a 70-90 minute class period.
This unit has been a labor of love in the making for several years as I have edited, revised, and designed it to be a resource I am proud to share with you. I've done all the reading, writing, and research for you and have watched countless videos to find the gems that perfectly align with each chapter of Sean Covey's The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens.
In addition to serving as a non-fiction anchor text for Language Arts, this unit can also be used with any Life Skills curriculum for Career & Tech Ed classes focused on teaching social-emotional skills in society and the workplace.
I continuously refine this bundle, and you will have free access to future files.
WHAT YOU'LL RECEIVE IN THIS 300 + Page BUNDLE:
(table of contents included with hyperlinks to resources within bundle)
* IN ADDITION TO WELL-CRAFTED COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS/JOURNAL PROMPTS FOR EACH CHAPTER, YOU'LL RECEIVE:
* 14 WEEK UNIT PLAN (see preview)
* ALL 70 DAILY LESSON PLANS with Common Core Standards grades 9-12 related
to each day's activities
* VIDEO LIST (Ted Talks, etc): 33 suggested short videos (including links and summaries) to complement each chapter in Covey’s book. I typically front-load each chapter with a video and then show them intermittently as they are reading through each section. The videos help with comprehension by reinforcing the concepts within the book, and they help to keep students interested and engaged with the text.
* Pre and post assessment on core concepts addressed in The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens
* 7 Habits anticipation guide/activity
* 60 DOL paragraphs ("daily oral language": grammar and punctuation exercises) that align with Covey's 7 Habits (includes highlighted teacher key)
* Handout: "What the Heck is a Clause?" includes definitions & color-coded examples of ICs and DCs
* Reflective essay prompt
* 9 paragraph exemplar reflective essay
* Reflective essay rubric
* Two essay skeleton guides to support emerging writers who may struggle with structure and coherence. The first guide provides minimal support, while the second is ideal for those in need of more explicit writing examples
* Mini Lesson: Suggested Ted Talk aligned with Covey's teachings on paradigm and
5 page Article: "The Science of Happiness," which discusses the physiology behind emotions & how to manage/regulate one's own level of happiness
* Editable student checklist to reinforce the "habit of happiness"
* Mini Lesson: "Goal Setting Redefined" : Activity to complete after watching Ted Talk
* Mini Lesson: Summary assignment for Bart Baggett's Ted Talk: The
Neuropathways to Happiness. Includes sample summary and summary rubric
* UNIT: Argumentative essay unit supplementary material including:
~ Daily lesson plans (included in the 70 total you'll receive in this bundle)
~ Suggested film prompt: Documentary style film: The Secret (available on NetFlix)
~ Film summary
~ Film comprehension questions
~ Argumentative essay structure guide
~ Exemplar argumentative essay
~ Argumentative essay rubric
* Presentation assignment and rubric
* Unit Outline Identifying Unit Cornerstones Including:
long term transfer goals
21st Century skills
breakdown of text alignment with common core skills
1. * TWENTY paragraph prompts (two for each topic) related to:
*Each prompt includes a short color-coded structure guide for reference and suggestions to help struggling writers with content and organization (can be edited out for experienced writers).
*Highlighted advanced vocabulary (can be edited out for experienced readers/writers)
2. An Editor’s Checklist
3. 4-Point Paragraph Rubric
4. One Exemplar Paragraph
5. Related Common Core Standards for Grades 7,8, 9/10, 11/12
I've used Sean Covey's The 7 Habits in my classroom for years, and my high school students - from every demographic and grade - absolutely love it.
Covey's wisdom can have a profound impact on students if they take the time to genuinely reflect on his teachings. This companion curriculum is designed to foster thoughtful introspection, critical thinking, and authentic social-emotional growth.
♥ ♥ ♥ BONUS OFFER ♥ ♥♥
Once this bundle is downloaded, you will be directed to receive your FREE eBook: Birdseed: A Guide to Teaching Emotional Intelligence in the Primary & Secondary Classroom: Daily Activity to Foster Social-Emotional Development & Personal Growth.
Birdseed is endorsed by The Colorado Department of Education, by positive psychology guru and best-selling NY Times author Shawn Achor, and by psychologists, teachers, and students worldwide.
Inside, you'll find a collection of THE BEST 365 inspirational quotes, (organized by theme for quick reference) along with a novel way to use them on a daily basis in any classroom to foster character development. This is an activity (referred to as "Birdseed") every secondary teacher can use to create an environment conducive to authentic learning (Have a closer peek at Birdseed in my store.).
Thanks for shopping with me!
Please feel free to email me with questions, concerns, or feedback.
KEY WORDS: Health, Self-esteem, decision making, confidence building, social skills, life-skills, emotional intelligence, social-emotional domain, middle school, high school, inspirational writing, 7 Habits unit plan, 7 Habits lesson plans, PSHE, Health writing assignment, 7 habits of highly effective people, bundle resources, Essay Prompts, mini-lessons, Health Curriculum, Health Unit, Advisory curriculum, Study Skills, Exceptional Students, GATE curriculum,
KEY WORDS: Health, Self-esteem, decision making, confidence building, social skills, life-skills, emotional intelligence, social-emotional domain, middle school, high school, inspirational writing, 7 Habits unit plan, 7 Habits lesson plans, PSHE, Health writing assignment, 7 habits of highly effective people, bundle resources, Essay Prompts, mini-lessons, Health Curriculum, Health Unit, Advisory curriculum