Life Skills and Character Education Curriculum for Teens: Social Emotional Learning | 7 Healthy Habits for Happy Teens | NO BOOK NEEDED | 14 WEEK UNIT PLAN Grades 9-12
"Embark on a Transformative 14-Week Journey to Teach the Art & Science of Happiness!"
In a world where sadness and a lack of purpose increasingly affect our youth, I share this groundbreaking unit that addresses the heart of this issue. This 14-week secondary unit, designed for grades 9-12, doesn't just educate; it empowers. Based on over two decades of research in Positive Psychology, this curriculum is an essential tool for educators aiming to instill lifelong happiness skills in their students.
Comprehensive and Engaging: Over 333 pages of rich content, including daily lesson plans, anticipation activities, and group discussions, all aligned with ELA Common Core Standards.
Guided Web Quest: Leverage the power of the internet with a guided research project, making learning interactive and relevant.
Diverse Teaching Tools: Enjoy a variety of resources like Daily Oral Language exercises, argumentative essay guides, and happiness habits checklists.
Accessible Format: A master document along with a student-accessible Google Doc makes it easy to navigate and utilize the curriculum.
Time-Saving: With 100+ teacher text summaries, you can focus more on teaching and less on preparation.
Tailored for Various Educational Settings: Ideal for ELA, Life Skills, Social-Emotional Learning, Independent Study, and especially beneficial for At-Risk Youth.
NO PLANNING FOR THREE MONTHS!
NO TEXT BOOK NEEDED
14 Week Secondary Unit + Daily Lesson Plans Aligned With ELA CCSS
Guided Web Quest
Engaging Project-Based Unit to Enhance Social-Emotional Learning
Ideal for Secondary English Language Arts, Life Skills, or Character Education
- Independent Study or Remote Learner Resource
*Internet Access is Required for Guided Research
More than a decade of teaching has allowed me to recognize the greatest epidemic plaguing today's youth. No, it's not drugs. It's not risky sex. It's not violence... It's sadness. So many of our kids are depressed, hopeless, and lack all sense of purpose. They don't realize (because many adults don't realize) that happiness is a life skill that can be learned, not an inherent trait that is fortuitously embodied by the lucky few. Neuroscientists and psychologists know that the brain can be rewired to operate from an optimistic, healthy, and proactive paradigm. Our kids should know this too. As parents and teachers, we must prioritize teaching Happiness above all else because it's the foundation, and ultimately the springboard, for any definition of success.
This unit has been inspired by more than 20 years of research in the field of Positive Psychology, and I am proud to share it with educators and students around the world.
The unit is divided into seven sections that address healthy habits associated with joy and well-being. They are as followed:
1) Reexamine Your Role: Texts within this section explore the meaning and formation of identity and the possibility of recreating roles that better serve one’s self.
2) Master Your Mind ~ Manage Your Emotions: Texts within this section analyze the interdependent relationship between psychological wellness and healthy behaviors; emphasis is placed on the idea that changing outer reality requires a shift in inner reality.
3) Create Your Purpose: Texts within this section address the importance and process of recognizing strengths and interests and aligning them with a sense of purpose.
4) Plan & Pave Your Path: Texts within this section speak to the importance of creating short and long-term goals while developing discipline and taking action.
5) Contribute Your Gifts: Texts within this section emphasize the importance and benefits of service and altruism.
6) Love Yourself: Texts within this section provide strategies to develop self-awareness, self-love, and healthy relationships.
7) Commit to Happiness: Texts within this section reinforce the understanding that happiness is a conscious choice and a habituated way of being. Choosing and committing to daily habits that foster happiness is the foundation for long term well-being and success.
In addition to the master Word document, you will be provided with a link to a student Google Doc, which allows them to easily access the curriculum and links to online videos and articles.
The Following Resources are Included Within this 333 Page Unit:
Unit Introduction 1-9
14 Week Unit Calendar 10-16
100 + Teacher Text Summaries for the Seven Habits (No need to read/watch texts yourself!) 17-64
About the Author 65-70
Anticipation Activity 71
Exit Ticket #1 72
Pre/Post Assessment 73-75
Weekly Chat Group Overview and Student Handouts 78-82
Daily Oral Language Introduction (DOL) 83
What the Heck is a Clause Handout 84
DOL Teacher Key (60 DOL Paragraphs) 85-102
Student DOL (60 DOL Paragraphs) 103-121
Student Introduction to Unit 122-124
Student Unit Checklist 125
Sample Summary & Reflection Paragraph 126
Summary Rubric 127
Mind Map Activity Guide 128
Mind Map Rubric 129
Reflective Essay Rubric 130
Teaching Happiness Project Rubric 131
Teaching Happiness Presentation Rubric 132
Exit Ticket #2 133
Final Project Guidelines 134
Essay Structure Guides 135-137
Final Student Reflection Handout 138
Happiness Habits Check List Handout 139
Student Links to Texts Within Each of the Seven Sections: 140-157
Journal Reflection Prompts for Each of the Seven Sections: 158-174
Part 2 of Unit: Argumentative Essay Unit Based on the Law of Attraction
Argumentative Essay Unit Intro: 175-178
Comprehension Questions for Film Law of Attraction: 179-181
Handout: Law of Attraction Summary of Principles: 182-183
Handout: LOA Argumentative Structure Guide: 184
Exemplar Argumentative Essay for the LOA: 185-189
Argumentative Essay Rubric: 190
70 Daily Lesson Plans: 191-332
Suggested Complementary Novel Resource: 333
Equip your students with the skills for true happiness and success. Download this comprehensive unit now and make a lasting impact in their lives and futures.
Use coupon code SAVETEN for ten dollars off your purchase. Offer valid for a limited time.